Monica Valentinelli is a writer and game designer who lurks in the dark. She writes both original and media tie-in fiction and works on games and comics, too. To date, she has over two dozen creative credits with more on the way. Currently, she is the lead writer and developer for the line of Firefly RPG releases based on the TV show by Joss Whedon. The game and all its supplements are available worldwide.
Published stories and games include “Tomorrow’s Precious Lambs” for EXTREME ZOMBIES, “The Dig” for the LOVECRAFT ZINE, and the FIREFLY RPG from Margaret Weis Productions. Her debut anthology HAUNTED: 11 TALES OF GHOSTLY HORROR won a reader’s choice award in 2011. Her debut comic
Man Zombie Standing was published in 2013 as part of the UNFASHIONED CREATURES: A Frankenstein Anthology. In 2014, she designed a worldbuilding game called Build-a-World which she’s currently running at conventions, too. You can discover more of the author’s creative works through her fiction publications or her game publications.
Monica’s non-fiction repertoire includes online articles and print essays. She has written for sites like: HowtoWrite Shop.com, Crackle.com, SFWA.org, GeeksDreamGirl.com, and BookLifeNow.com. Her essays have appeared in books like FAMILY GAMES: THE 100 BEST and THE BONES: US AND OUR DICE.
Monica holds a B.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She lives with two very spoiled cats, an albino water frog, bettafish, and her fiance. In addition to writing and editing, she enjoys traveling, designing jewelry, cooking, taking photos, gaming, watching anime, exploring old places, and hiking.
If you know how to pronounce Tarantino, then you’ll be able to say Valentinelli. Tarantino is pronounced exactly how it looks, and Valentinelli is the same way. Tar-an-ti-no versus Val-en-tin-el-li or Va-len-tin-el-li. Valentinelli simply has more syllables in it.
Currently, Monica is an Associate Member of the SFWA and member of the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers.
Monica Valentinelli writes stories, games, essays, and comics for media/tie-in properties and her original works from her studio in the Midwest. She’s a former musician of 20+ years and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Creative Writing program who now writes full-time. Recently, Monica has filled the shoes of lead developer and writer for the line of Firefly RPG books based on the Firefly TV show by Joss Whedon. Her sanity is kept by her two cats, water frog, bettafish, and her long-time partner. When she’s not obsessing about deadlines, she designs jewelry and dabbles in other artistic endeavors. For more about Monica, visit www.mlvwrites.com.
Awards & Accolades
- The Firefly RPG took 2nd Runner Up for Game of the Year in the Golden Geek Awards
- The Escapist nominated the Firefly RPG for Game of the Year 2014.
- GalleyCat Varney the Vampire Re-Mix Grand Prize Winner 2012
- HAUNTED: 13 Tales of Ghostly Horror won Best Anthology in the 2011 Preditors & Editors Reader’s Choice Awards.
- FAMILY GAMES: the 100 BEST was a nominee in the category of Best Game-Related Publication in the 37th year of the Origins Awards.
- BURIED TALES OF PINEBOX, TEXAS won first place for 2009 best anthology in the annual Preditors & Editors Reader’s Choice Awards.
- CHASING SHADOWS, a horror movie screenplay Monica co-wrote, placed as a finalist in the Shriekfest 2009 competition.
- FlamesRising.com won a Silver ENnie through the hobby games industry awards at GenCon: Indianapolis in 2008.
- “Promises, Promises” won first place in a submission contest for White Wolf Publishing. The story was then published in the 2007 Spring Edition of White Wolf Quarterly.
- “Prey” won an Honorable Mention through the MIRRORMASK 2005 fiction competition sponsored by FutureFire.net.
Online Article Reprint Information: If you are interested in republishing any of Monica’s online articles or blog posts for your publication, please use the contact page to submit your request. Be sure to include the name of the website or publication and how you’re affiliated with it.